You are the Gift

Sharon Eubank, one of the women leaders of our church who does a lot with the humanitarian programs gave this amazing speech at BYU back in January. It was amazing then and I felt like I was absorbing a lot of what she was sharing. But, in preparation for this internship we were asked to reread this talk titled You are the Gift and strive to apply what is taught throughout our time here in Zambia.

Here is the link to the talk if you would like to read it. I highly recommend it! It has changed the way I treat simple daily interactions with others--which changes everything!

You are the Gift

A few of the highlight reels that I pulled from this:
- the gift that we give to others has little to do with what we give but how we give of ourselves
- being willing to listen is one of the most impressionable things we can do
- one-on-one ministering is how hearts are touched and connections forged
- to be an eagle that soars rather than a hog that wallows I need to be the best version of myself.
- how will I lift those who are poor in spirit and means?



These are some of the principles that really stood out to me from her talk. I love how one of her biggest pleas was that we focus on the individual rather than only look at the big organizations as the only medium in which service can be extended. It is so much more important that we show interest in the individual, their hopes, dreams, fears and joys.

I was able to have several moments when I felt like I was able to break down the tendency to hold back a part of myself. I want to share some experiences of when I felt Heavenly Father was using me as "the gift".

Some of my favorite parts of home-based care were when we were able to connect with the caregivers. I am so thankful for the long walks between huts to get to know the caregivers as more than just interpreters but as individuals with families and friends, goals and aspirations.
Christine was a woman that I was able to talk with. I instantly connected with her once we started talking. She is one of the strongest women I have met. She is over 70 years old, taking care of her single (maybe soon to be double) amputee husband due to stroke, raising 3 grandkids as their parents were taken by AIDS several years ago. In that single day we spent to me I was surprised by her openness with me about her fears, and anxieties with her grandchildren she was raising. With a poor rains this year she is struggling to feed her family more than one meal a day. Often she goes without food so that she can be sure her growing grandchildren are getting the nutrients they need. Her health is not good and her grandkids are not able to go school as they cannot afford it. It is 300K (about $30) for each one to attend a community school for one year. The rest of her children live in Natebe as well, but none are in any position to offer help or assistance to her. I offered to sponsor them through African Impact. She was so sweet, appreciative, and just overwhelmed. She cares so much about her kids and it is so important to her that they are able to get an education and hopefully make it out of Natebe one day. You could tell it was such a relief for her to be able to go out with us and visit these people she wanted to help. She told me how grateful she was for our conversation and for the chance that her kids would have to attend school. My heart just broke for her. I hope that things will improve for her and her family.

Another thought about the ability each of us have to lift, buoy, and encourage others that I saw in our time there. I especially love the time that we got to spend with the school-aged kids, whether it was in after school club, sports, or girl impact, it was so amazing to be with them. They have such a hope and brightness in their countenance. However, there were moments of doubt, and fear that made me just ache. They are the future of their families and their nation. One of the most rewarding things was when I would be working with 1 or 2 kids who were really struggling (with reading, math, whatever new skill or concept they were learning) for a solid hour or so. If by the end of our time together they felt like they were getting the hang of things, they would be so happy, you could see how success was motivating and inspiring for them. I know that they have seen a lot of failure and missed opportunity in their lives, so I can imagine how great they must have felt after mastering something that was hard for them initially.

Though Sharon Eubank talks of how WE are the gift, I really felt that my time in Africa with these amazing people has been such a gift to ME. They are an amazing people. I felt so much love, acceptance, and passion from these sweet people. They have blessed my life more than can be said.





918 words


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final sunsets

FALLin in love with this place